Saturday, April 5, 2008

Little notes

I got a great little note today in the mail from my aunt Barb. It consisted of two sentences: I thought you might like these. They were quite the pair. She was talking about pictures of my grandparents, both of whom just passed away, within weeks of each other, actually. Altogether, there were three pictures, including graduation headshots of each of them along with a lovely "live" shot of them together on their wedding day. oh - and there was a tiny snapshot of my grandpa as a little boy. These pictures will soon be framed and hung up on the wall as part of my new home with Gwydion. It was an extraordinary gift to receive. The pictures were, of course, the focus when I received the envelope Barb sent , but I am still compelled to think about her choice to include a little note with it; and to think about the note that I immediately wrote her in response. What I am coming away with is a reminder that it does not take a great, eloquently written letter to communicate something meaningful. -- this is certainly something I am continuing to learn more about from my Midwestern family in their inability to waste time with words that don't matter. It is a very beautiful thing to say it like you mean it, especially when it comes directly from the heart. And if it arrives in an envelope, with a postmarked stamp on its cover, it is simply an added plus.

No comments: