Monday, February 25, 2008

Celebrity Atheists

I'm very, very grateful for Julia Sweeney and Penn Jillette -- two big(-ish) celebrities who've come out as atheists. The stand they've taken -- given how it might impact their careers -- is inspiring.

My newest celebrity atheist hero, however, is Ricky Gervais. In the article I've linked to he describes his deconversion story; it's honest, simple, and straightforward. (You can learn about Julia Sweeney's -- which she's turned into a very successful one-woman play -- here and Penn Jillette's here.) If you've ever seen the original British version of The Office -- far superior to the American version, which is still pretty funny -- you know how incredibly, uncomfortably funny he is. I'm really, really grateful when people that talented and articulate and entertaining speak out on behalf of the truth... without demeaning people of religion. It feels like I'm not alone. I feel like I have... a champion.

No comments: